CAJUN STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
Low calorie food & super healthy dinner recipe
The flavor in cajun cabbage rolls wins over even the cabbage hater.
This version of Cajun stuffed cabbage rolls is adapted from The Prudhomme Family Cookbook. I cut the spices, make the cabbage rolls smaller and add more sauce for the gravy. This recipe has no rice. Cabbage is loaded with fiber, antioxidants and vitamin C. A great healthy dinner recipe if there ever was one AND IT'S DELICIOUS!
Low calorie food and low fat recipes never tasted better. Cajun stuffed cabbage rolls are filling, taste great and as healthy as a daily 30 minute walk in the sunshine and fresh air. I give the following cajun cabbage rolls my highest rating. The only negative is preparation time but if you enlist help chopping veggies while you saute and cook, this can be prepared quickly.
TIPS: When selecting cabbage, look for a large head with 6-12 leaves big enough for rolls.
SERVE WITH: Mashed potatoes for the gravy. Cold marinated vegetables to offset the spicy cabbage rolls.
CALORIES: One fourth of this recipe is 416 calories.
Cajun Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Combine seasoning mix (first 3 ingredients) and set aside:
- 1 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 large head of green cabbage, 6-12 leaves plus 2 cups shredded cabbage
7 t. butter (2 T. plus 1 t.)
2 cups onions, chopped
3/4 lbs. lean ground beef (90/10 or 95/5)
1 cup chicken or beef stock
3 eight ounce cans tomato sauce
1 cup green bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 T. parsley, minced
1/2 t. garlic, minced
- Prepare cabbage leaves. Throw out torn or damaged leaves and carefully remove 6-12 leaves. If you have extra stuffing you'll have some extra leaves. Trim thick stem end from each leaf and steam, until soft enough to fold, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In heavy 4-6 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions and saute, stirring frequently for 10 minutes. You should have many dark brown onion pieces. Take pan off heat, remove onions to bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to heat (without wiping out), add meat and cook until done, stirring and breaking up pieces. Take pan off heat, reserve meat to bowl with onions.
- Leave 2 T. fat in the pan add shredded cabbage and place on high heat. Stir and scrap pan bottom often for about five minutes. Add stock, 1 can tomato sauce, bell peppers, green onions, celery, parsley, garlic, seasoning mix and reserved onions and meat. Mix well and cook until mixture is almost dry, 10-15 minutes. Take off heat.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with 1/2 cup filling (or less depending on size of leaf) and fold like an envelope. Place in greased 8 X 8 inch baking pan with seam side up. You can use toothpicks to secure, but I find they hold together fine when placed snugly in the pan. Pour the remaining 2 cans tomato sauce over all. Seal tightly with foil. Foil will scorch leaves if it touches them. Bake for an hour, or until leaves are tender and gravy is rich and thick, at 425F. Serve immediately.
Go to REAL FOOD Weight Loss Recipes and
leave Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
HOME PAGE -- Healthy Diet Plan