BEST HAMBURGER RECIPE
for healthy lunch ideas
My best hamburger recipe cuts 124 calories by using ground beef with reduced fat content. Four ounces of 75% lean ground beef has 316 calories. Compared to only 192 calories for four ounces of 95/5 lean ground beef. A whopping 124 calorie difference. You can dramatically cut calories in hamburger meat recipes by simply reducing fat content.
Use a three ounce, 95/5 burger with tomato, lettuce, onion and Miracle Whip instead of mayo and you have a genuine low fat sandwich suited for many healthy lunch ideas.
For more meatloaf and other hamburger meat recipes see: Green Chili Cheeseburger :: Meatloaf, American Style :: Meatloaf Sandwich :: Meatball Sub :: Patty Melt :: Sloppy Joe
The best hamburger recipe starts with fresh ingredients. Photo/SQL Samson
NOTES: Some recipes call for egg and bread crumbs to hold the patty together. I've also read that too much handling of ground beef when pressing out patties makes the burger tough. I have to disagree with both statements, my burgers are always juicy even though I "knead" the beef together to eliminate air and holes, and press patties firmly enough to hold together and not fall apart. I think the real secret is to NOT overcook. It's when they are overcooked the burger gets tough.
Never press patties when they are cooking. Make the patty thinner than you want when shaping, it will shrink and get thicker as it cooks. Flattening out with a spatula while cooking squeezes out all the good flavor and makes meat tough.
Use fresh ingredients and bakery made hamburger buns. The key to the best hamburger is fresh ingredients prepared correctly.
CALORIES: 4 ounce (1/4 lb.) hamburger (lettuce, tomato, onion, Miracle Whip) = 337 calories. With cheese, 437. Make that a 3 ounce hamburger for 289 calories or 3 ounce cheeseburger for 389.
Hamburger American Style
the Best Hamburger Recipe
Makes 4 hamburgers/cheeseburgers
- 1 lb. 90/10 or 95/5 ground beef
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 4 slices American cheese (optional)
- lettuce leaves
- tomato, sliced thin
- onion, thinly sliced
- mayo, mustard, ketchup (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat cast iron skillet (or frying pan) over medium high heat. Season ground beef with salt and pepper and mix well. Make four equal size balls of meat. Press into patties between a piece of wax paper. Form patties well so they don't fall apart when cooking. Patties should be thin and larger than buns, they will shrink when cooked.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, flip over and place cheese on hamburger. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until beef is done and cheese is beginning to melt. Avoid overcooking for the juiciest burger.
- Place on bottom slice of hamburger bun and serve immediately.
TOP WITH ANY OF THESE: Miracle Whip, mayo, ketchup, mustard, chipped dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion. Cheese: American, cheddar, swiss.
More REAL FOOD Recipes
Drop Biscuit Recipe
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Chicken & Dumplings
Chicken, Green Chile Stew
Chicken, Oven Fried
Macaroni & Cheese
Meatloaf, Tomato Topped Buttered
Split Pea Soup Recipe
Roast Turkey Recipe
Go to REAL FOOD Weight Loss Recipes and
leave Best Hamburger Recipe.
Return to HOME PAGE -- Healthy Diet Plan.